Thursday, December 8, 2011

Hands Free Mic for VR

Having to don the headset has always tended to discourage me from using voice recognition software like Dragon Naturally Speaking even when the software performs well, so when I purchased a tablet PC with phased array mics a few years ago the completely adequate performance was like a breath of fresh air. This year though I put together my own desktop, so I reverted to the dreaded headset that came with my new(er) version of the software. I could hardly believe a mic costing less than $40 could handle the task, but the Andrea Array 2-S convinced me otherwise.

I mounted the mic atop my monitor, and my Web cam atop the mic. It recognizes my speech as well as any headset I have used, and works well with Skype, too.

You plug the mic into an included USB sound card. I plug my speakers into the card too. I still do not understand how to use the audio software that comes with the package, but neither do I seem to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment